The European call for tenders for the study on measures of attractiveness of the teaching profession in Europe has been published by the Directorate-General for Education and Culture, School Education, 'Comenius' Unit.
of this call for tenders is to carry out a study on policy measures to improve the attractiveness of the teaching profession in Europe (EAC/34/2010). The purpose of this call is also to support the work in the field of the Commission and Member States, within the Education and Training 2020 work programme.
In this context the overall purpose of this study is to define the issues relevant to the attractiveness of teaching as a profession, and then to map, analyse and evaluate current policy measures in Europe for attracting high quality candidates into teaching profession in Europe.
Specifically, the study of attractiveness of the teaching profession in Europe should:
- the factors that influence the relative attractiveness of teaching as a career / profession,
- the extent to which these factors are amenable to change through policy interventions, and
- the extent to which these are culture-bound or country-specific in Europe;
B- Identify measures taken by national and regional authorities (and other organisations as appropriate) to:
- encourage applications from high quality candidates for places on course leading to a teaching qualification, including but not limited to courses of Initial Teacher Education;
- promote teaching as an attractive career in Europe, and promote teaching as an attractive profession and enhance the status of the teaching profession in society;
C- Analyse the impact of such measures on the profile, quantity and quality of candidates who:
- enter Teacher Education programmes,
- complete such programmes and enter the profession and, if possible,
- remain in the profession.
The Tenderer is free to recommend the approach or methodology s/he thinks most appropriate to achieve the results set out.
The Target groups are national, regional and local policymakers, plus other stakeholders in the field of teaching profession in Europe.
The total duration of the contract in the framework of this call for tenders about teaching profession in Europe is 15 months.
The total budget
allocated to this call for tenders for a study on the teaching profession in Europe is between 200 and 300 person-days of work.
for the submission of a tender is 18 October 2010.
Further information on the this call for tenders on a study on the teaching profession in Europe can be obtained directly on the EACEA's web site clicking here